Executive Director Melbourne Division
9:10 AM CASE STUDY: Development of Portarlington Harbour to Facilitate Growth in Aquaculture Industry and Tourism
Portarlington is home to the Port Phillip mussel farming industry, a popular holiday destination and a great place to live. The Victorian Government’s $15 million Harbour investment provides a long term vision for the development of a safe harbor and improvements to the foreshore reserve, it is designed to support the Bellarine Peninsula’s growing aquaculture industry and help boost tourism and the local economy.
- Exploring the $2.75 million investment in ferry and boating infrastructure and wave protection works for Portarlington’s Safe Harbour
- Examining the tender and procurement process of the project
- Discussing the need for greater collaboration between stakeholders
- Exploring the installation of 110 meters of concrete pre-cast wave screen panels on the western side of the pier and wharf to protect vessels berthed inside the Harbour from westerly winds.
- Importance of considering climate change and rising sea levels while developing a coastal area project
- Discussing the recent completion of 140,000-tonne northern and eastern rock